Find out how to make your 21st birthday celebration the talk of the town!
Congratulations! You’re about to turn 21 and officially join the responsible world of adulthood. Sure, your 18th birthday was a big event – you can vote, you can drive, you can drink! But your 21st needs to be unforgettable. And not in the ‘I got so drunk I can’t remember’ unforgettable way, but in the best possible sense of the word, to launch you into the rest of your adult life. Here’s how.
1. Say ‘No’ to the regular 21st birthday ideas
The traditional house party in the backyard with a few friends over, cake cutting, drinks, chats, and goodnight. Are you going to remember that for years? Maybe a lame speech or two? That’s not how you want to remember your 21st birthday. Throw away your regular party ideas, and opt for something more remarkable, off-beat even. Like, a backpacking trip, a hiking trail, camping parties, beach-side parties, costume parties. Getting your thinking out of the traditional party box is the first place to start. Here are more great ideas:
- Road Trip. Now that you are 21, you can rent a car or a caravan, and go on a luxuriously long road trip with your friends. Trust us, it doesn’t get better than this. Celebrating the birthday by hitting hard on the road is an experience to witness at least once in a lifetime. And what better time to feel the magic of partying on the move than on your 21st birthday?
- Sail on a cruise to celebrate your 21st birthday. For those who believe in a more sophisticated way to celebrate, the cruise party is tailor-made for them. This is one of the best 21st birthday celebration ideas. You can have a nice relaxing day on the waves and enjoy your favorite cuisine and drinks with your favorite people. The sheer luxury and comfort of the cruise will make sure you remember your 21st birthday for years to come.
- Wine tasting party. Snub your regular party for this brilliant idea of wine tasting party. You can go to one of the beautiful wine farms in the Cape, or create your own at home. Serve some scrumptious wines and enjoy your night with the taste of the best ones.
- Treat yourself to a spa day. If you want to have some me time on your 21st birthday, this is the ideal way to soothe your body and mind in a relaxing, pampering spa. Lay back and allow yourself to be treated with oils, bath bombs, face-packs, and massages. Also, you can arrive looking fresher as you head into the night’s party if that’s what’s in store for you on the night.
- A luxurious hotel retreat. Whether you are out of plans, and you don’t want to stay at home for the entire day on your birthday, this would be a perfect plan to enjoy yourself at the leisure of the hotel. Book a room in a good hotel where you have never been before, and take your friends along. You can party hard with music, good food, and drinks in the room, or use the room as a ‘home base’ while you explore the city’s nightlife.
- Bonfire beauty. Whether it is a wild party or a casual sleepover with friends, a roaring bonfire is always a winner. Arrange a set of pillows, beds, and a few drinks and finger food to keep the night going. You can even play a game or two to set the mood for the night. Make sure you have enough food and refreshments to last the whole night, as well as something to offer the next morning.
- A cooking class for you and your friends. For something completely different, why not invite your friends to join you on a cooking class with a chef. Not only you will allow yourself to taste lip-smacking food from the hands of a chef, but you and your friends will also learn few good recipes and cooking secrets. The time spent in the class will be worthy of making it into the memory lane. This can be a perfect setting for someone who loves cooking beyond anything and doesn’t fancy wild parties.
- Home chef. Another great idea is to make use of a home chef who comes to your home, and prepares haute cuisine for you and your guests in the comfort of your home. It is a warm, delightful way to spend an evening with people you love, around a table set for royalty.
2. Save time, money and confusion by using social media invites
Why not take advantage of Facebook’s event feature and set up an online hub for the party so you can update and send new birthday party info for everyone to see in real time? If you make changes to the event description, theme, time or date of your party, Facebook will notify your guests so they’re always in the loop. Remember to set your event to private or invite only, so that you don’t accidentally invite the public or your entire friends list.
3. Set your date super early
It’s never too early to set the date. Guests are notorious for responding to RSVPs at the last minute, especially when you set up an online event. Give your guests as much time as possible to organise their plans. A lot of guests for 21st birthdays have casual work schedules, or study commitments, so with plenty of notice these friends can swap shifts or take leave to make sure they don’t miss the party. It’s good to start planning around eight weeks (even more) ahead of time so you can send invites, let people prepare for a theme (if required), arrange an event planner, hire a photographer, finalise your RSVPs and confirm numbers with the venue.
4. Choose a unique venue
The location for your party is crucial, and depends highly on the theme of your party. Do your research and investigate a few places before making a final decision. Once you’ve found the right place, lock in a secured date with your preferred venue before you send the save-the-dates RSVPs.
5. Work to a schedule, even if it’s a loose one
You don’t want too much chaos on the night (or day) of the event, so keep a flexible schedule in mind to follow that will help minimise your stress levels and keep your party momentum. A useful 21st party run-sheet starts with the arrival of the guests followed by:
- Mingling time
- Speeches and toasts
- Party on!
Need help with putting up an unforgettable 21st birthday celebration? Let us take over all the nitty-gritty details, so that you can just enjoy your birthday! Contact us.